For the best lip gloss EVER
visit the LaughShineRepeat
online store!

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

MEET MOCHA LATTE: An Inspiring Laugh SHINE Repeat Woman

Each year American women gain ground in every profession imaginable. Still, in 2011, the percentages of women who hold jobs in fields deemed to be for men only make less money than their male counterparts. Some woman even have a tougher road to travel. However, despite these challenges, achieving success in typical male dominated positions is possible as many women are proving.


Meet Mocha Latte – an event planner, poet and motivational speaker who not only turns heads with her savvy event management skills; she’s a reigning queen of night club and special event promotions in St. Louis, Missouri. Mocha Latte is among a unique and limited number of women in St. Louis who don’t take orders from men in the nightclub business, she gives them! We admire Mocha Latte for her daring spirit, can do attitude and her ability to stand out and SHINE in any arena. Go Mocha Latte, Go!

LSR: How did you get the “Queen of Promotions” title?

Mocha Latte: Bill Beene, a former writer with the St. Louis American Newspaper once referred to me as the Queen of Promotions in an article. I’m sure his reference had a lot to do with my work ethic and the number of people I’ve collaborated with and supported in the nightclub and event planning business over the years. Bill had seen it all - from my humble beginnings as the assistant to party planning mogul, Slim of Loose Cannon Entertainment to where I am today. Proudly, I serve as host and the creative force behind “Got Lyrics” - a successful open mic event at the “In Spot Lounge” in St. Louis’ trendy Delmar Loop and the Saturday night host at the Loft in historic Mid-town St. Louis.

LSR: Do you find it difficult to work in such a male-dominated industry?

Mocha Late: I actually enjoy the challenge. Men don’t intimidate me. I love being a woman. I bring a softer side to my industry. I think my female intuition also gives me an advantage. I have the ability to pay attention to detail in a way some men can’t. I also see a lot of things men look over. I believe that’s why I’ve been so successful. Of course I don’t take it for granted, but it makes me feel good to have the respect of my male peers. The men in my industry treat me as their equal. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Mocha Latte with Real Housewives of Atlanta star, Kandi Burruss and Asia, wife of St. Lunatics member, Kyjuan.
PHOTO: King Tungsten

LSR: How do you position or set yourself apart from other night club and special event promoters?

Mocha Latte: I have a social work background that really helps me understand people. My education and experiences give me the ability to easily understand my clients needs, wants and feelings. I can see an event from start to finish – taking budgets, timing and trends into account - all along the way. I also understand what makes a good event and how to produce a good event.

LSR: What do you consider your greatest professional achievement?

Mocha Latte: Probably winning so many awards over the years – the Traffic Music Awards and The Notice Me Awards which are honors given by my peers for Best Promoter, Best Poet and so forth. Still, one of my greatest moments was being asked to perform one of my poems at an event featuring the author Sapphire at University of Missouri St. Louis. Sapphire wrote the book PUSH which was made into the award winning movie, Precious. I performed my original piece before she spoke. That was a real honor for me.

LSR: If you could change anything, either about your career or the entertainment industry, what would it be?

Mocha Latte: I wish more indie artists could be recognized and signed to major deals. I really could have a very successful management group! I encounter so many talented people in my line of work. There are a lot of talented and gifted people in my hometown of St. Louis, Missouri. I’d love to get behind them and help further their careers but resources are an issue.

LSR: Which to do you prefer – hues of pink or red colored lip gloss?

Mocha Latte: Pink – all day… Laugh, shine, repeat! ;)

LSR: Do you have a scripture or Mantra you live by?

Mocha Latte: So many so many....God said, "…ask believe and receive" and “Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it!” – William Ward.

LSR: What’s next for Mocha Latte?

Mocha Latte: I am co-writing a self help book filled with short and funny therapeutic stories for women with my friend Beth. I will also release a little book completely on my own next year called, “Coffee Talks with Mocha Latte.” It’ll be a pocket sized book filled with stories from the column I write for the St. Louis Evening Whirl Newspaper. While I’m doing more motivational speaking, I’ll be working on my consulting company, too. So, what’s next you ask? A whole lot!

Find Mocha Latte on FACEBOOK and TWITTER - HERE.


Quote of the moment: “I am woman, hear me roar.” – Helen Reddy

1 comment:

  1. This lady is so Awesome Talented and Creative, I look forward to reading her books!

    ReplyDelete